Tuesday, May 15, 2007

New Car Fever

I have caught a terrible case of new car fever. And I know that the only thing that is going to make it go away is that new car smell.

My love affair with the blazer began to fade over the winter when the heater core ruptured and eventually filled the truck with steam and smoke one morning on the way to work. Because I was in Nashville and had no other options I wheeled it into the Chevy dealership across the street from the old office. That was a $1500 repair job. A couple of months later some kind of rocker arm broke and I had to get new tires. (a veritable bargain at $800) that was followed by another $800 hit the next month when the numerous engine leaks wound up driving up the temperature to dangerous levels. I really wanted to trade the Blazer, but there was always something going wrong with it. And then I really wanted to get some riding out of those fresh off-road tires. (i know, i know...but the Blazer has an off road suspension package that would make any other tires look absolutely ridiculous.)

And now with the price of gas skyrocketing I could be making a note on a new economical car for less than what I am spending on fuel---and I don't even drive that far unless you count my trips back home, when the Blazer gets 17 MPG on the Highway. (It gets 10 or 12 in the city)

The number one thing that has kept the Blazer so near to my heart is it's clean title with my name on it. The other thing is it's tough 4x4 stance. (It's a really good looking truck!) And I have always just liked it. But it's time to start thinking about something else.

The problem with thinking about getting something else is getting a bad case of new car fever. Which results in thinking about new cars constantly. It's a really good thing that there was no internet when I was 16 because I wouldn't have gotten any school work done. I swear, I'm going to have to buy something just to shut down the new car freight train in my head.

The Maximum Leader is coming to town this weekend. Maybe we'll go cruise the lots.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.