Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Underworld

I was reading a review of the new Don Delillo novel, and it mentioned his 1997 novel, Underworld. And whenever I read about Delillo or Underworld I remember that I never finished it, and I'm not sure why. The articles about Delillo or some new book of his usually say that Underworld is very good. But the only thing I remember about it is that it starts with a short story about Bobby Thompson's "Shot Heard Round the World." And it might have something to do with a lady who is painting old planes in the desert. There might be a lady who is taking pills so she won't be afraid of dying, or that could be White Noise. There may be some kind of Illuminati postmen, or that might be from that Pynchon book Dr. Duvall thought we ought to read in his modern novel class at the University of Memphis way back in 1994. (He thought we ought to read White Noise too and that short story about Bobby Thompson. Maybe that is why I've got them all mixed up.) Dr. Duvall also thought it was a good idea for us to read The Sound and the Fury. That's the kind of book I can get into.

No comments: