Wednesday, August 8, 2007

MEMPHIS --- Part 1

Ever since I moved to Nashville, almost a year ago now, I've read the Commercial Appeal on line. And I often feel much more involved and interested in what's going on in Memphis than I do to what's going on here. Nashville really just feels like a place that I am staying. Memphis feels like home.

The last couple of days I have been really bothered by something going on in my hometown: the beating of a 51 year old Collierville man by a 21 year old security guard on Beale Street.

The story goes that the man from Collierville and his wife were celebrating their 25th anniversary with a night at the new Westin Hotel downtown. They were walking back to their hotel when they crossed Beale Street at Beale and Third. The wife had a cup of tea, and the security guard told her that she could not bring it onto Beale Street. The man attempted to explain to the guard that they were not going onto Beale Street. They were going to their hotel. An argument followed, and the guard slammed the older man onto the pavement, critically injuring him.

I do not know what words were passed between the men. I do not know the security guard's side of the story. I do know that the guard's actions were so far out of line that he has been charged with aggravated assault and is currently sitting in the Shelby County Jail on a $25,000 bond. And I know that one couple's 25th Anniversary was completely and utterly ruined. And Downtown Memphis is going to take another serious hit in the public relations department. Beale Street is going to become a "Steer Clear" zone for a lot of folks---if it wasn't already.

This story is so disgusting to me. I imagine my folks coming in from Cordova to spend a special night at the Westin or maybe just go for a nice dinner downtown. They might go for a walk a cup of coffee from Starbucks before heading in. I imagine them running into a young security guard with a bad attitude....and well, I don't even want to think about the rest.

Just this past June the anthropogist and I went to Memphis for a party, and, because we had not seen each other in a while and neither of us live in Memphis anymore, we decided to splurge on a night at The Madison. We had a great time there, and being back in Downtown Memphis was awesome. And it should have been for that way for the couple from Collierville. But intsead of a night of celebration, their lives were horrifically changed forever. And the city of Memphis is going to have to step up and do something about this or all of the work that has gone into making Downtown Memphis so wonderful is going to be for nothing.

4 comments:

Evil said...

You are right that the story is horrible. My only comment is that it was a security guard. I've heard people on the radio talking about it as though it was some thug who beat this guy up. It wasn't, it was a security guard. Granted it was an idiotic security guard, but this could have just as easily happened anywhere with a security guard who is a jerk.

Bryan Hartley said...

I think I understand your point. The man didn't get jumped by a criminal type who was partying on Beale Street. But he did get assaulted by a criminal security guard who was HIRED by Beale Street.

If the security company that hired that guy and put him to work down there before they completed a background check and found his numerous arrests, if that company is allowed to keep their contract to provide "security" for Beale Street something is WRONG.

Evil said...

I agree. I just don't like how it's being seen as somehow involving thugs or something. It plays into this idea that it is dangerous downtown. People say it's unsafe. Well, what would you do? Hire more security? There the ones that did it.

John0 Juanderlust said...

Beale Street was good for awhile. It has gone straight down the tubes in the last year.

I have no idea what you see good in this town. The Beale street demise is typical Memphis. I guess you had to grow up here to like the place. I'm out of here ASAP. Not as much for the danger as the rampant stupidity.