Wednesday, August 8, 2007

"You're Kind of a Snob" part 3

On a lighter note, I've been thinking again of finding a new regular beer. Coors Light has been my favorite for quite some time, but several factors have lead to me searching for a new go to brew. They are:

1. Coors shut down their plant in Memphis. This was convieniently timed to coincide with the year they would have had to start paying some taxes to the city.
2. The Coors plant in Memphis was unionized. And I don't think that the other facilities are.
3. I found out that Miller Beers are made by workers who belong to the U.A.W. The U.A.W. is my favorite union so I thought it would be cool to support them.
4. My favorite NASCAR driver, Kasey Kahne, is very likely going to be driving the Budweiser car next year. And that's gonna make it strange to put a CL in my number 9 huggie.

So, it might be time to make a change. But I do have a couple of guidelines. My new beer is going to have to be a main line domestic. No "sub-premiums" like Busch, Natty, or PBR. And no high dollar micro brews like Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada. I like a S.N. every now and then. But they cost like 8 bucks a six pack. 8 bucks is too much for a regular, everyday beer. This rules out imports too. I am pretty sure I could make Tecate my regular beer if I lived in Mexico, but since I live in Nashville I've got to keep searching my other options. Plus, I might get tired of the lime eventually.

That leaves me with the Big Two: Budweiser and Miller.

I really like a Budweiser every now and then, but when I come in from the gym (yeah, i go to the gym sometime. I'm 35 years old and I like to drink a cold beer. this requires some time on the treadmill every now and then) the King of Beers is just to heavy. I like a draft Bud Light at the ballpark. But, maybe it's because it's the prefered beer of my dad and my uncles, Bud Light feels kind of old. And it lacks a certain style. I can drink it at the house, but I feel decidely un-hip when I order it out at a bar.

Among other Anheuser-Busch Brands there's Bud Select which is o.k., but a little girly and I'd be just as (un)likely to order a Michelob Ultra (also an A-B product,) and Rolling Rock. There was a brief time back in 1997 that the Rock was my beer of choice. It was always good, but for then I moved to the CL. In late 1997-early 1998 my weight was really going up. And moving to a light beer seemed like a good idea. But, since I no longer have the weight issue due to my frequent trips to the gym and a serious decrease in my CL cunsumption, it might be time to reconsider the Rock. The Rock in a can's relative unavailabilty might be a little problem (I've been trying to pre-cycle,) but I could probably get over that.

So, if I want to stick with my driver and go with a Budweiser affiliated brand I might try Rolling Rock.

But what going with the product that will support my favorite union, the United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agriculural Implement Workers? (The union that was brought to prominence the greatest of the labor leaders, Walter P. Reuther.)

Here are my U.A.W. made Miller Beer choices:

Miller Lite, Miller Genuine Draft, Miller Genuine Draft Light, Miller High Life, Miller High Life Light, Milwaukee’s Best, Milwaukee’s Best Light, Milwaukee’s Best Ice, Leinenkugel’s, Sharp’s (non alcoholic), Mickey’s Malt, Mickey’s Ice, Hamm’s, Hamm’s Draft, Hamm’s Light, Icehouse, Miller Lite Ice, Red Dog, Olde English 800, Henry Weinhard’s Private Reserve, Henry Weinhard’s Blue Boar Pale Ale

Does that say Miller Lite Ice? Yuck! I guess that's a light Icehouse. Ice beer is BAD news. Ice beer is a headache the likes of which I never want to experience again in my life. And I don't even know what the hell the rest of that stuff is. I think it's all malt liquor.

Taking away ice beers and sub-premiums, I am left with Miller Lite, MGD, and MGD Light if I want to be in solidarity with my U.A.W. brothers and sisters.

Miller Lite is good to drink if you are doing something outside, and it is hot. It is also good to drink if you have to drive somewhere. It is very low in calories, carbs, and alcohol. Which makes it low in the important area of "Kick." I have only the slightest familiarity with any beers from the MGD line. Though I would be willing to give one a try.

The problem is that I just don't like any of these beers as much as I like Coors Light. A CL hits the spot like a DC if you know what I mean. (And if you don't know, DC stands for Diet Coke, the official soft drink of the Maximum Leader.) Other beers are o.k., and I enjoy them every now and then, but they just aren't the same.

I can go with what I like. Or I can go with my principles. This is going to be rough.

3 comments:

Evil said...

I think you should go with MGD, it's good stuff. Of course as me and the EvilBro have said many times, the High Life ain't no good life, but it's my life.

That being said, whenever you are ready to convert to Amstel Light we'll welcome you with open arms. You may pay a little more, but you'll be happy about it in the morning.

... Just don't order it at Brookhaven.

Bryan Hartley said...

I'm gonna give the MGD a try. I got a six pack of High Life Light this weekend. I know that I had considered it a "sub-premium" but I really like those High Life commercials where the guy takes the beer back from the restaurant selling 11 dollar burgers. And I am happy to report that HLL is a fine beer. I can support the UAW and save a buck or two. But I don't think they sell HLL at bars yet.

Evil said...

The problem I have with the High Life is that it gives me a hangover like I drank champagne. I guess that is why it's the champagne of beers.