Tuesday, August 21, 2007

the Truth is a Lie #5

The Evilblog has a very interesting discussion regarding the death of Country Music. I've weighed in a couple of times and intend to make a broader, more developed statement on that topic---probably here on the Leader.

But I've also got sports on my mind, basketball in particular. I just read a piece on ESPN.com about the upcoming tournament of the Americas (or something like that) which should be USA Basketball's return to glory. But what really intrigued me was Team Mexico. They've hired Nolan Richardson to be their coach. Hell Yes! I really like Nolan. I know he went sort of crazy and accused the University of Arkansas of being racist of whatever, but the man won the Final Four! With Dwight Stewart! (who I talked to one time in Planet Music on Winchester, the night or so after I got my wisdom teeth taken out and I was a little out of it. Dwight was checking out the rap CDs and I just HAD to congratulate him on winning the Championship. Best I can remember he was pretty cool. Then again, it's all a little hazy.) And Corliss Williamson. That dude was cool. Too bad his rap career never took off. And Nolan even had a white dude on the team. I don't remember his name, but he was from Massachusetts. Anyway, I'm glad to see Nolan is back in the game. He would make a good candidate for the University of Memphis job after the Tigers win the Final Four this year and Callipari jumps to a BCS school or the NBA.

And that wasn't the only thing interesting about the Mexican team. The story said they tried to get Earl Watson to play for them?! Earl Watson the former Grizzly. I didn't know that Earl was a Mexican. Maybe one of his parents is from Mexico. I don't know. If anyone has any info on this I'd like to hear it.

No comments: